Want this question answered?
The driver or owner will be responsible for the passenger's injuries. The passenger's PIP or medical insurance MAY pay the expenses if the responsible party is not insured, but will sue to recover the expenses.
The at fault drivers auto insurance policy would pay for medical bills up to the policy limits for which that insured driver is liable. If there is no insurance then there is no coverage. If no one has Auto Insurance to cover you, hopefully you have a major Medical Insurance Policy in place. Major medical will cover your medical expenses even from a car accident.
Damage to both people and property are covered by auto insurance. Aside from protecting the insured against the claims of others (for bodily harm or property damage, for example), auto insurance typically helps pay for medical expenses needed by the insured or other person involved in the accident AND it covers costs leading to loss or damage of the automobile stated in the insurance.
As with anything regarding health insurance, it depends. Generally speaking, in an auto accident the question about medical benefits is secondary to providing the best care for the accident victim. After the emergency has passed is the time for figuring out who pays for the medical expenses. Often health insurance is asked to pay first. However, health insurance companies have a program called "subrogation" that seeks to ensure that the responsible party pays for their share of expenses. In the case of a car accident, typically the auto insurance will be primary and should pay medical expenses first. During the process of subrogation the health insurance provider will contact the auto insurance provider and negotiate who should pay the bills. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subrogation for additional information.
Call and ask your agent
No, a medical assisting student does not have a legal responsibility to stop at an auto accident.
1. Most states have a requirement that a registrant of an auto maintain "personal injury protection" (PIP) coverage (altho the name may be different). This is the essence of so-called no-fault auto insurance. Essentially, it pays a percentage of the insured's own medical bills and lost wages, up to a maximum amount, arising from an auto collision. It pays those expenses irrespective of fault for the collision. 2. Most insurers also offer a Medical Payments coverage. This is often an optional coverage. It pays an additional amount toward medical expenses , and often coordinates with the PIP coverage. Therefore, if the PIP coverage pays 80% of the medical bills, up to the policy limits, the medical payments coverage will pay the remaining 20% up to its policy limits. 3. If medical expenses exceed #1 and #2, one's major medical insurance is triggered. The auto insurance is "primary" in the sense that its benefits have to be exhausted before major medical insurance is called upon to pay. This is because auto insurance is required by state "financial responsibility laws" and for the further reason that it and the major medical insurance contain "coordination of benefits" provisions making the auto insurance primary. 4. If medical expenses still exceed the total available auto insurance and major medical insurance (including, if there is no major medical insurance), the injured party/insured is personally responsible for unpaid amounts. In this situation, the health care provider frequently is willing to work out payment arrangements. Alternatively, the unpaid amounts may be discharged in bankruptcy, but this is a very drastic step and should be avoided if at all possible.
The un-insured driver will have to turn to their health insurance company for coverage if he carried no auto insurance.
California law restricts owners and operators of motor vehicles injured in a motor vehicle accident from recovering compensation for pain, suffering, inconvenience, physical impairment, disfigurement, and other non-pecuniary damages if the injured person was not insured at the time of the accident
This is a no brainer ... if the other driver has no insurance, how possibly could their non-existent insurance be responsible for medical? The only recourse here is to take the other driver to court and sue for damages. Chances are you will still get nothing - most likely if someone cannot afford auto insurance, they certainly could not afford any out of pocket medical expenses. This is why most motorists have to carry under-insured and un-insured auto insurance on their policies ... for your own protection.
Vehicles are insured not drivers. If you are qualified and authorized to operate an auto the insurance on it will pay for it and any damage done by it.