Best Answer

Upgrading your service will not keep individual circuits from tripping.

An overloaded circuit on a 400-amp service will still trip.

Large individual loads require their own circuit.

Large circuits with multiple outlets and numerous simultaneous loads should be broken up into multiple circuits as suit the loads.

The only time it is necessary to increase a service from 100 amps to 200 amps is when the combined loads dictate the necessity.

A 100-amp service is usually adequate for a three or four bedroom home with electric hot water, electric stove and electric dryer.

A 200-amp service would be necessary if total electric heat is contemplated. <><><>

As always, if you are in doubt about what to do, the best advice anyone should give you is to call a licensed electrician to advise what work is needed.

If you do this work yourself, always turn off the power

at the breaker box/fuse panel BEFORE you attempt to do any work AND

always use an electrician's test meter having metal-tipped probes

(not a simple proximity voltage indicator)

to insure the circuit is, in fact, de-energized.




User Avatar

Wiki User

14y ago
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides


13 cards

What angle is between 90 and 180

What condition has symptoms that include ringing buzzing or roaring in the ears or head

V-cube 7 or megaminx

What instrument measures direct current

See all cards
43 Reviews
More answers
User Avatar

Wiki User

11y ago

Look at the value of the breaker or fuses that control your main electric panel.

look at the wire size coming in to the main lugs on service panel, I am assuming you don't have a main breaker or you would look at the breaker rating to determine service size. 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum service size 200 amps, #4 copper or # 2 aluminum 100 amp.

This answer is:
User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: How do you determine if you have 100 or 200 amp service?
Write your answer...
Still have questions?
magnify glass
Continue Learning about Natural Sciences
Related questions

Can I use a 100 amp main panel as a sub panel for a 200 amp service?


Can you install 100 amp service in 200 amp meter base?

No, each size service needs its own meter base.

Can you tap off of a 200 amp service for 2 100 amp panels?

Yes, but at every reduction in wire size there has to be a breaker sized to the smaller wire size. The wire size for 100 amp panels is recommended at #3 copper conductor. From the 200 amp feeder panel you will require a 100 amp two pole breaker for each of the two 100 amp services. Keep in mind that if you run the 100 amp services close to maximum this will take away the capacity of the 200 amp service for other branch circuits coming off of it. Also keep in mind that if the panels are located, not in the same building as the 200 amp service that the 100 amp panels will be treated as separate services and will have to be constructed like a 100 amp service. This includes ground rods. Also the bonding screw will have to be removed that connects the neutral buss to the panel enclosure.

Do you need to change the wire size going from 100 amp service to 150 amp service?

Yes, the wire size has to be increased. The existing 100 amp service will now probably have a #3 conductor with an insulation factor of 75 or 90 degrees C which is rated for 100 and 105 amps respectively. Increasing to a 150 amp service will use a #1/0 wire size. If you are thinking of an upgrade, skip the 150 amp service and go to a 200 amp panel. New homes are installing 200 amp 42 circuit panels. The extra cost is only reflected in the materials as the labour costs will be the same regardless whether a 150 amp or a 200 amp panel is installed. The wire size for a 200 amp panel is #3/0. With an insulation factor of 75 or 90 degrees C the rating is 200 or 210 amps respectively.

What gauge wire for service entrance in Wisconsin?

Depends on the size of the service. 100 amp service will require 3 gauge, 150 amp service will require 1/0 gauge, and 200 amp service will require 3/0 gauge.

Can you use a 1200amps service if you have a 1000amps on service?

The current output cannot exceed what is available. 1,000 amp service to a house is rather unreasonable and most likely would not be provided by the utility anyway. 100 amp or 200 amp service would be more likely.

Can you use a 200 amp automatic transfer switch with a 100 amp service?

Yes you can as long as the sensing coils of the transfer switch are the same as the 100 amp service. The transfer switch has to be able to tell when the voltage is back from the utility side of the switch when the power is restored.

Who makes a main breaker 200 amp service that has built in 200 amp gfci?


What size aluminum wire for 100 amp service?

2 AWG Aluminum for 100 Amp Service.

What is the minimum service size for a 225amp residential service?

A 200 amp service panel with a 60 amp sub-panel.

What size neutral conductor for 100 amp panel?

#2 Copper with TW insulation is required for 100 amp loads #3 Copper with R90 insulation is rated at 105 amps.

What size conduit pipe is required for a 200 amp service?

50 mm or 2 inch will handle the 3/0 wires for a 200 amp service.