1. Most states have a requirement that a registrant of an auto maintain "personal injury protection" (PIP) coverage (altho the name may be different). This is the essence of so-called no-fault auto insurance. Essentially, it pays a percentage of the insured's own medical bills and lost wages, up to a maximum amount, arising from an auto collision. It pays those expenses irrespective of fault for the collision.
2. Most insurers also offer a Medical Payments coverage. This is often an optional coverage. It pays an additional amount toward medical expenses , and often coordinates with the PIP coverage. Therefore, if the PIP coverage pays 80% of the medical bills, up to the policy limits, the medical payments coverage will pay the remaining 20% up to its policy limits.
3. If medical expenses exceed #1 and #2, one's major medical insurance is triggered. The auto insurance is "primary" in the sense that its benefits have to be exhausted before major medical insurance is called upon to pay. This is because auto insurance is required by state "financial responsibility laws" and for the further reason that it and the major medical insurance contain "coordination of benefits" provisions making the auto insurance primary.
4. If medical expenses still exceed the total available auto insurance and major medical insurance (including, if there is no major medical insurance), the injured party/insured is personally responsible for unpaid amounts. In this situation, the health care provider frequently is willing to work out payment arrangements. Alternatively, the unpaid amounts may be discharged in bankruptcy, but this is a very drastic step and should be avoided if at all possible.
You need a life insurance policy to cover the risk of death and a health insurance policy as a cushion against hospitalisation expenses. Buy Personal Accident Insurance Coverage :
Your insurance is either valid on the day of your accident or it isn't. If you are asking what happens if the policy was valid on the day of the accident but lapses before the claim is settled then the coverage that was in effect the day of the accident still applies. If your policy was not in effect the day of the accident then coverage will not apply.
If the insurance is not valid on the day of the accident, there is no coverage.
It would make no difference as long as they had coverage on the date and time of the accident. They can cancel the policy after the accident and coverage would still be provided.
When this happens, your Insurance company pays for damages. If the accident is your fault, your insurance rates can go up.
Both insurance companies will pay for their own, depending on your policy coverage.
no insurance + jail
Usually, if the driver had the owner's permission to drive. What happens if the car is owned by the person that has the accident but the insurance is in your name? However you no longer want to be in that relationship or to have to pay that insurance?
AnswerThe victim has the right to file a lawsuit for any expenses incurred that was not covered by insurance. The victim can also file a claim with their own automobile insurance for medical costs and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. Your best bet? Hire a lawyer. Even the most straight-forward pedestrian accident can get complicated quickly.
Yes it does. The cancellation of an insurance policy is not retroactive.
Gap insurance is designed to give additional coverage so you are not stuck with a bill in case an accident happens in between. You can find out about this at http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content19664.aspx