answersLogoWhite

0


Best Answer

this is a trickey one to explain

either the child has

one non cf gene (from the mother) + one non cf gene (from the father) = a non carrier child (a child that doesnt carry the cf gene)

OR

one non cf gene (from the mother) + one cf gene (from the father) = a carrier child (a child that carry's the cf gene but doesnt have cf)

OR

one cf gene (from the mother) + one non cf gene (from the father) = a carrier child (a child that carry's the cf gene but doesnt have cf)

OR

one cf gene (from the mother) + one cf gene (from the father) = a cf child (a child that carry's both copies of the cf gene and does have cf)

so to answer your question there is a 1 in 3 chance

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2010-03-25 11:31:48
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Genetics

17 cards

What are chromosomes made of

How are mitosis and meiosis similar

What is a gel electrophoresis chamber

In pea plants what are the two alleles for color

โžก๏ธ
See all cards
3.84
โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…
230 Reviews

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: What is the chance of two parents that are carriers for the cf gene to have a child that is a carrier?
Write your answer...
Submit
Still have questions?
magnify glass
imp
Continue Learning about Natural Sciences

What are is the percentages of a child not having cystic fibrosis with parents who both have the trait?

If both parents are just carriers of the gene that causes CF then there is a 75% chance that the child will not have CF. To break it down farther... 25% chance that they will have CF. 50% that they will be a carrier. 25% that they will have two normal genes.


What are the possible genotypes of parents with hemophilia?

XX or XY OR XX(women can only be carriers) or XY(women with carrier gene that mates with male has 50% chance of spreading it to male) if male or female has either carrier gene or affected gene, then child has 50% chance of getting it.


What are the odds of a person with cystic fibrosis having a child with cystic fibrosis?

To have cystic fibrosis, a person must inherit two copies of the defective CF gene-one copy from each parent. If both parents are carriers of the CF gene (i.e., they each have one copy of the defective gene, but do not have the disease themselves), their child will have a 25% chance of inheriting both defective copies and having cystic fibrosis, a 50% chance of inheriting one defective copy and being a carrier, and a 25% chance of not having CF or carrying the gene. If one parent has CF and other is a carrier, their child will have a 50% chance of being a carrier and a 50% chance of having CF. But if one parent has CF and the other parent is not a carrier and does not have CF, the child has a 100% chance of being a carrier, but will not have the disease.


How can two healthy parents have a child with cystic fibrosis?

the two 'healthy' parents are carriers. they have one 'good' gene and one 'bad (cf gene' two normal ones come together = the child isn't even a carrier. 1 good + 1 bad come together = carrier (like the parents) 2 bad come together = a cf child


What is the chance of an albino baby?

Both parents must be carriers of the recessive "albinism" gene. For people who do not have albinism, there is only a 1 in 100 chance that they are carriers of the recessive gene. If both parents are normally pigmented, that is, neither one of them has albinism, but they both happen to be carriers of the recessive "albinism" gene. Then there is a 1 in 4 chance they will have a child with albinism each time they concieve. One person in 17,000 in the U.S.A. has some type of albinism.

Related questions

Can you get pregnant and be a cystic fibrosis carrier?

Absolutely! In fact, it is impossible for a child to be born with cystic fibrosis unless both parents are carriers, because cystic fibrosis is a recessive gene. If both parents are carriers, there is a 25% chance their child will have CF, as well as a 25% chance that the child will not be a carrier. The remaining 50% is the chance of having a child who is a carrier. (I have cystic fibrosis.)


What if you are a carrier of CF is pregnant what are the chance of your child having CF?

In order for your child to have CF, both parents have to be carriers. If they are, the child has a 1 in 4 chance of having CF.


What is the probability of two healthy people where one is a carrier being parents to a child born with cystic fibrosis?

If only one person is a carrier of cystic fibrosis than there is no chance of having a child with it. Both parents have to be carriers and even then there is only a 25% chance. If only one carries than there is a 50% chance that their children will carry but will not have cystic fibrosis.


What are is the percentages of a child not having cystic fibrosis with parents who both have the trait?

If both parents are just carriers of the gene that causes CF then there is a 75% chance that the child will not have CF. To break it down farther... 25% chance that they will have CF. 50% that they will be a carrier. 25% that they will have two normal genes.


What are the possible genotypes of parents with hemophilia?

XX or XY OR XX(women can only be carriers) or XY(women with carrier gene that mates with male has 50% chance of spreading it to male) if male or female has either carrier gene or affected gene, then child has 50% chance of getting it.


What would a genetic counselor tell parents who had cystic fibrosis or were carries of the cystic fibrosis about the chances of their children having cystic fibrosis?

If both parents are carriers then the child has a 25% chance of having cystic fibrosis. If one parent has CF and the other the other was just a carrier then the child has a 50% chance of having CF. If one parent has CF and the other has two normal genes then there is no chance of the child having CF. If one parent is a carrier and the other has two normal genes then there is no chance of the child having CF. If both parents have CF then there is a 100% chance that the child will also have CF.


Is fibrosis preventable?

No, this is an inherited disease. If you are concerned about having a child with cf you can get genetic testing to see if you and your partner are carriers of the gene. If you and your partner are carriers - 25% chance If one of you has CF and the other is a carrier - 50% chance If you both have CF - baby will have CF If neither partner is a carrier - 0% chance


Are there carriers for albinism?

Yes. If either parent is a carrier of the gene that causes albinism then their child becomes a carrier as well. It is only when both parents have the gene for albinism that the child is born with this disorder.


Can a child not have sickle cell if both her parents do?

If you're saying the parents are carriers of the gene, but don't have the disease 2/4 chance of the child being a carrier 1/4 chance of the child having the disease 1/4 chance of the child not having the disease However, if both parents have the disease, this means they both have the two genes of the disease. This means the child WILL have the disease. x = has gene o = does not have gene Diseased Diseased x:x x:x So this means, there is only a chance of x to x, which means the child will have the disease.


Is cystic fibrosis preventable?

No, this is an inherited disease. If you are concerned about having a child with cf you can get genetic testing to see if you and your partner are carriers of the gene. If you and your partner are carriers - 25% chance If one of you has CF and the other is a carrier - 50% chance If you both have CF - baby will have CF If neither partner is a carrier - 0% chance


Can you prevent tay sachs disease?

No but you can check if you and your mate are 'carriers' of the disease. BOTH parents must be a carrier to have a an affected child. if both parents are carriers, then the child: 25% affected 50% carriers 25% unaffected if you have any further questions ask me at stefano-lau@Live.ca good luck


How do you get Cystic Fiberosis?

For a baby to be born with Cystic Fibrosis, both parents must be carriers of the faulty CF gene. Where both parents carry the faulty gene, each child has a one in four chance of having CF, a two in four chance of being a carrier and a one in four chance of not having any CF genes.

People also asked