What happens if you eat a daffodil stem?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

All Narcissus (daffodils included) contain an alkaloid poison called lycorine. If ingested it will cause vomiting in humansas well as high blood pressure, headaches, blurred vision, irregular heartbeat and possibly death. Accidental ingestion is due to someone mistaking a daffodil bulb for an onion or shallot.

Another human response is the "daffodil itch" which as a common inflammation of the skin, especially in florist. This is caused by calcium oxalate in the sap, and will produce dryness, fissures, scalines and redening of the hands.

The ASPCA puts out a document which list the different animals and what is toxic to those particular animals. Daffodils are poisonous for all common household pets and livestock.

However, the good news is that there is a chemical called galantamine that daffodils produce. This has been used to combat Alzheimer's disease.
They are poisonous and can cause serious side effects; headaches nausea vomiting and diarrhea , there may be more that are just some known ones
4 people found this useful

Stems you can eat?

Some stems you can eat include the stems of asparagus plants andthe stems of celery stalks. You can also eat the roots of manyplants including carrots and beets.

Can hamsters eat daffodils?

The ASPCA puts out a list of what is toxic to specific animals.For a hamster, daffodils are very toxic. A wild animal willinheritly know what not to eat, but a hamster is a domesticatedanimal. A vase of daffodils or getting into the bulbs will cut hislife short.

What happens when you eat the stem of a clover?

Nothing should happen if you eat the stem of a clover as long asyou do not eat them in large amounts. Most people who eat clovereat mainly the blossoms and leaves, but even these should not beconsumed in large quantities.

What eats daffodils?

The daffodil has lots of critters that are after its tendertissues. Examples include the following: . Aphids - insects that suck the life juices out of the leaves& stem. . Bulb flies - lay their eggs on the bulb & maggots eat awayat the tissues. . Bulb mites - burrow into the bulb and other critters attackthrough the burrows. . Caterpillars - feed upon the leaves. . Nematodes - may attack the root, stem or bulb. . Snails and slugs - eat the above ground tissue. . Thrips - suck the life juices out of the stem and leaves. . Animals - daffodils are toxic to most, but they can still stompon the plant.

What happens if a human eats a daffodil?

All Narcissus (daffodils included) contain an alkaloid poisoncalled lycorine. If ingested it will cause vomiting in humansaswell as high blood pressure, headaches, blurred vision, irregularheartbeat and possibly death. Accidental ingestion is due tosomeone mistaking a daffodil bulb for an onion or shallot. Another human response is the "daffodil itch" which as a commoninflammation of the skin, especially in florist. This is caused bycalcium oxalate in the sap, and will produce dryness, fissures,scalines and redening of the hands. The ASPCA puts out a document which list the different animals andwhat is toxic to those particular animals. Daffodils are poisonousfor all common household pets and livestock. However, the good news is that there is a chemical calledgalantamine that daffodils produce. This has been used to combatAlzheimer's disease.

Can rabbits eat daffodils?

Daffodil bulbs are poison to rabbits...as is iceberg lettuce!Carrots are a treat (like a chocolate bar to you and me). Whileyour bunny will probably be fine if he or she ate a flower ornibbled a leaf...you'll want to keep dafodils away from bunny. Abit of digging and a nibble of the bulb could part you from yourfamily friend. Usually quickly. If you've gone a day an bunny isstill with you, breathe easy, you probably made it through with noill effects. Now move that flower :)

What happens if you eat a daffodil?

If you eat the head of the flower, you should be fine. However, if you eat any other part of the plant, it contains its sap. Its sap is toxic, and you may experience abdominal pain, allergic and/or contact dermatitis, nausea, dizziness, general pain, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and/or vomiting. You may not necessarily get all of these, as it will depend on many variables, but daffodil sap is toxic.

What eats daffodiles?

The flower is the least toxic (poisonous) area of the daffodilplant. Most animals leave the entire plant alone. Slugs are good atdestroying the flowers if the blooms are heavy and touching theground. Spotty damage may be to insects. There have been videos ofsquirrels and some birds that will pick the flowers. They don't eatthem - they just like to pick the flower and leave the stem.

What will happen if you eat the poisonous part of a daffodil?

All parts of the daffodil are poisonous. The sap of a daffodil isvery bitter, so licking the stem usually doesn't cause anyproblems. Times for concern are when small children pick and chewon the buds. This will cause vomiting about 30 minutes afteringestion. It will pass. The most common poisoning is when someonmistakes the bulb for an onion. This will cause vomiting,intestional problems, dehydration and a trip to the hospital.

Do cows eat daffodils?

They may, but they shouldn't because it is a poisonous plant, as toxic alkaloids can cause severe digestive upset and death.

What insects like to eat daffodils?

The daffodil has lots of critters that are after its tendertissues. Examples include the following: Aphids - insects that suck the life juices out of the leaves &stem. Bulb flies - lay their eggs on the bulb & maggots eat away atthe tissues. Bulb mites - burrow into the bulb and other critters attack throughthe burrows. Caterpillars - feed upon the leaves. Nematodes - may attack the root, stem or bulb. Snails and slugs - eat the above ground tissue. Thrips - suck the life juices out of the stem and leaves. Larger animals - daffodils are toxic to most, but they can stillstomp on the plant. There are videos of squirrels and birds pickingthe flowers and sometimes leaving them on the ground next to theplant, or dropping them a short distance away.

Do sheep eat daffodils?

Sheep tend to not eat daffodils. Sheep don't eat plants of sedgefamily (Cyperaceae), Rush family (Juncaceae), Arrow-grass family(Juncaginaceae) and Rannoch-rush family (Scheuchzeriaceae), becausethey know, that they don't stomach these plants.

What are daffodil stems like?

The stem of the daffodil, upon which rests the flower, is thin,upright and green. It does not branch, except in some daffodilvarieties there will be multiple flowers with branching only at thetip. The stem stores surplus food for growth and development. How"tall" the daffodil is depends solely on the length of the stem.

What happens when a daffodil blooms?

Daffodils bloom because they are of the Infradivision Angiospermaewhich holds all the flowering plants. The flower is a sexualreproductive organ that increases the genetic variability withinthe species. However the daffodil is very sucessful as an asexualplant (reproducing primarily by bulbets from the mother bulb). Sothat makes the daffodil flower an ornamental and one that bringssmiles after a long, gray winter. Note: should you deadhead a daffodil? YES! Personally I pick all mydaffodil flowers as soon as they bloom. That way the food theleaves make gets stored in the bulb for next year's flowers. And Ilike to have daffodil blooms in every room of my house.

What does a daffodil eat?

The daffodil gets its food directly and indirectly throughphotosynthesis. When the plant has leaves, it is making its foodthrough the interaction between chlorophyll in its leaves andsunlight. It uses this food during the flowering process and storessome of the food in the bulb underground. The following year, thebulb will use this food to send new shoots up through the soil todevelop a new green plant. Also, the roots absorb necessaryminerals from the soil as well as the ever important nutrient,water.

Do ladybirds eat daffodil flowers?

Ladybirds do not eat dandelions, they do not eat flowers. Ladybirdseat a teeny weeny bug called aphids that lives on the flowers. Thisbug is very bad for our garden, so that's why we have Ladybirds toeat them up.

What animals eat a daffodil flower?

The flower is the least toxic (poisonous) area of the daffodilplant. Most animals leave the entire plant alone. Slugs are good atdestroying the flowers if the blooms are heavy and touching theground. Spotty damage may be insects. There have been videos ofsquirrels and some birds that will pick the flowers. They don't eatthem - they just like to pick the flower and leave the stem. Thedaffodil has lots of critters that are after its tender tissuessuch as aphids, bulb flies, bulb mites, caterpillars, nematodes,and thrips.