Does an 80 year old need to file taxes?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

You must file taxes if you earn the following amounts of income:
Self-employed, any age: $400
Children and Teens classified as a dependent:
Single, under 65:
Single, over 65: $10,750
Married, filing jointly, both spouses under 65: $18,700
Married, filing jointly, one spouse over 65: $19,850
Married, filing jointly, both spouses over 65: $20,900
Married, filing separately, any age: $3,650

Source: TurboTax Support website (related link below)

Even if you do not have to file, you should file to get money back if Federal Income Tax was withheld from your pay,which if you were an employee most certainly happened or you qualify for any of the following:
  • Earned Income Tax Credit. The Earned Income Tax Credit is a federal income tax credit for eligible low-income workers. The credit reduces the amount of tax an individual owes, and may be returned in the form of a refund.
  • Additional Child Tax Credit. This credit may be available to you if you have three or more qualifying children or if you have one or two qualifying children and earned income that exceeds $11,300. The Additional Child Tax Credit may give you a refund even if you do not owe any tax.
  • Health Coverage Tax Credit. Limited to certain individuals who are receiving certain Trade Adjustment Assistance, Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance, or pension benefit payments from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.

Additional information on filing taxes:

Simple Common Sense:
The only time you actually do WANT to file is when the IRS says you don't have to!
They don't do that because it's good for you. They do it because it is more likely to be good for them. Certainly if you don't have to file, NOTHING BAD, in fact only good things, can happen by doing so.

Federal Taxes are the same throughout the country. State tax laws are specific to each area.

Whether you have to file a tax return (or pay tax) depends, in part, on your filing status, deductions, amount & type ofincome. There are no such things as "start and stop" ages, not having to pay because of retirement or on social security or working from home or a student. It is all addressed as a matter of "how much TAXABLE income."

(Note: working isn't relevant either, as many people who don't work or are retired, or disabled, or old, or young, or in school, have income from many sources: savings, investments, etc. TAXABLE income is different than what you may otherwise think of as income. In most circumstances, you have to do many of the calculations needed to file a return, just to determine what taxable income may be).

Likewise, there are no special or fixed rates for retired, student, doctor, sanitation worker, President, convict...whatever. The amount of taxable income after applicable deductions and adjustments determines the rate applied to your particular situation. The rate, as well as the amount, you pay changes as the amount of income does.

You must file a tax return if you had net earnings from self-employment of $400 or more. This is your total self-employment income less the expenses paid in operating your trade or business, multiplied by 92.35%.

If you weren't self-employed (paid on a 1099 or ran your own business) then you would always want to file a return to claim the amount withheld and shown on your W-2, which with lower incomes will always be refunded to you.

If you are an individual who may be claimed as a dependent on another person's return, you are subject to specific filing requirements. Refer to the instructions in your tax package or refer to Publication 929, Tax Rules for Children and Dependents, or Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, for the filing requirements for dependents. All available at

You must file a tax return if you received any amount of advance earned income credit payments from your employer during the year, or if you owe any taxes, such as:
  • social security tax and Medicare tax on tips or group life insurance,
  • alternative minimum tax,
  • tax on qualified retirement plans including an Individual Retirement Account, or other tax-favored account,
  • tax from recapture of an education credit, investment credit, low income housing credit, federal mortgage subsidy, qualified electric vehicle credit, or the native American employment credit.

Generally, you must file a tax return if you are a nonresident alien with income from sources in the United States. For more information on nonresident aliens, select Topic 851 at the IRS website.

Even if you are not required to file a tax return, file a return BECAUSE MANY, LOW INCOME PEOPLE HAVE MANY BENEFITS COMING THAT ARE KEYED TO FILING A RETURN. (Like stimulus checks).

Also, the Statute of Limitations for when the IRS can no longer ask you questions about your affairs for a year only STARTS to run when a return is filed. Not filing, and they can bug you, (and assess a tax) for forever!
5 people found this useful

Do you need last year's tax information to file this year?

\n. \n Answer \n. \n. \nYou need the 2006 Tax information to complete the taxes you file in 2007.\n. \nThe only thing you need from the taxes you filed in 2006 for 2005 might be any returns that you received and whether or not you took any of a return in exchange for tax credits.\n. \n. \n Answer \n. \nYour Taxes are paid as you go through the year, by witholding from pay (if you are an employee), or by making estimated payments quarterly, if you are self employed or have earnings from something other than employment (like investments).\n. \nThose payments are done on an estimated basis - you square up and finalize all the reporting by filing the forms for that year "X", on or before the due date after the end of the tax year. For personal tax payers that is normally at least one of the forms in the 1040 series, with many other possible attachments: (Sch. A&B, Schedule D, Form 4797 - Gain Losses, etc., etc.) and on or before April 15 of the year X+1.\n. \nIn very basic or simple return situations there is little need to know much about prior filings and just a complete record of the year X data, (generally provided in the W-2s and 1099 forms sent to the personal tax reporter during January), will suffice. Any refund of a prior year State tax needs to be known (and really should have been received on a 1099G). \n. \nMany other items from prior years may need to be tracked into future periods (situationally): Unused Stock and Investment Losses (which have a long carryforward lifes), or Amortization of mortgage investment points or fees are just some very common ones.\n. \nCertainly anyone with a Sch. C (business type income or expenses), or having income reported on a Sch K/Form 1065 (from partnerships), will likely have tax positions that carry from one year to the other.\n. \nFor sure, income taxes required on the Form 1120 series or 990 may have different filing dates, and require positions from prior filings reconcile to the current report.\n. \nConnected but slightly off the Q: Operationally, especially for those using any of the programs for filing-- Just keeping a file, on disk or such, of the prior years report - (while common sense for any number of proof/retention of data reasons), makes filing in the next year much, much easier. The program will look at and carry any needed info forward, even just names and IDs, etc, check for changes or possible ommmissions this year (like a missing 1099 from someone), and mean you don't have to re input all that data. Finally, they make comparisions from one year to the next, which help with financial planning and more. It's great!

I am 85 years old do I still have to file my taxes?

Of course....age is not a consideration in filing. Income is.. Moreover, even (or especially) if the IRS says you don't have to file, who do you think that benefits, you or them?. Your last tax return will be filed, by your estate, after your death.

Does a 17 year old file a tax return?

Generally, they are claimed as a dependent and included with their parents.. However, if that isn't the case, and they made income, they would need and want to.. See the q; How much income do you have to earn before you file income tax

Does a 9 year old have to file income tax?

If they have sufficient income, yes. Age is not a factor in determining filing requirements (except for some senior citizens). . The parents should help them, of course.

Does 18 year old need to file income tax on less than 3000.00 income?

For a federal return, it depends on the source of the income (whether it was earned or unearned income), whether the person was a dependent, and whether any of it came from self-employment. See Tables 1,2,and 3 on pages 2,3, 4 of Publication 501: The rules for state returns will vary by state. But if this person had any taxes withheld from his wages or other payments, he should file a return even if he doesn't have to. That is because withholding almost never equals the actual amount of tax due and he might be owed a refund. If he doesn't file, he won't get a refund.

Can a 19 year old file for income tax?

Yes. If you are a qualifying child dependent or qualifying relative dependent of another taxpayer the you will have to check the box on the 1040 income tax return that you are using indicating that you are being claimed as a dependent and would have to use the worksheet that is provided in the instruction book for the 1040 tax form that you are using. The QC or or would not be able to claim the exemption amount on your own income tax return

Do you need to file old tax for a year I show a lost and had no income as self-employed?

You can file as a schedule C and there may be benefits to you for filing the losses and business deductions. But after about 3 years of loss, the IRS would like you to file the company as a "hobby" and not a schedule C business. But they understand, especially during this time, that there will be losses that can be temporary. I'm not sure that you "need" to file, but it might benefit you to file anyways. I'm just a regular person who is answering just from personal knowledge. Hopefully some real tax person will jump in and help answer this better for you but just thought i should share what i know since there were no other answers. good luck!

Can you file taxes at 17 years old?

Yes you can file a federal income tax return and if you had a employer and you were an employee if any federal income tax was withheld from your gross earnings wages it is possible that you could get a refund of some or all of the FIT that was withheld. It is possible that a taxpayer can meet the MUST FILE A FEDERAL INCOME TAX RETURN at any age. If you are a dependent on an another taxpayers income tax return and unearned income of more than 950 and would be required to pay some federal income tax on the amount. Or if your are a self employed taxpayer and have a NET profit from your business operation it is possible that you would be required to file a 1040 Federal income tax return.

Can you file your 34 year old as a dependent on your taxes?

Only after all of the rules or met for this purpose that you both will have to meet. You and your adult 34 year would be the only one that would know if the 34 year old could be claimed as your qualifying relative dependent on your income tax return. For all of the rules go to the IRS gov website and use the search box for PUBLICATION 17 go to Chapter 3. Personal Exemptions and Dependents Qualifying Relative There are four tests that must be met for a person to be your qualifying relative. The four tests are: 1. Not a qualifying child test, 2. Member of household or relationship test, 3. Gross income test, and 4. Support test. Age. Unlike a qualifying child, a qualifying relative can be any age. There is no age test for a qualifying relative. Each test is explained below and you will also find the worksheet that you can use to determine if the support test is met. Gross Income Test To meet this test, a person's gross income for the year must be less than $3,650. Gross income defined.

Must an 88 year old file taxes?

If you are unmarried and at least 65 years of age, then you mustfile an income tax return if your gross income is $11,500 or more.However, if you live on Social Security benefits, you don't includethis in gross income. If this is the only income you receive, thenyour gross income equals zero, and you don't have to file a federalincome tax return. But if you do earn other income that is nottax-exempt, then each year you must determine whether the totalexceeds $11,500. If you are married and file a joint return with aspouse who is also 65 or older, you must file a return if yourcombined gross income is $22,400 or more. If your spouse is under65 years old, then the threshold amount decreases to $21,200. Keepin mind that these income thresholds only apply to the 2013 taxyear, and generally increase slightly each year.

What are the advantages of not filing you 19 year old on your taxes?

In keeping with the TOS and intent to be the source of the answers, we would suggest that tax questions are frequently very complex and that there are a number of free services available to handle your specific issue. A suggestion on how to find some are below. Go to and use the search box type FREE TAX HELP AVAILABLE NATION WIDE Nearly 12,000 free tax preparation sites will be open nationwide this year as the Internal Revenue Service continues to expand its partnerships with nonprofit and community organizations performing vital tax preparation services for low-income and elderly taxpayers. The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free tax help to people who earn less than $49,000. The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program offers free tax help to taxpayers who are 60 and older. EITC-eligible taxpayers also can seek free assistance at the 400 IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers nationwide. To assist EITC taxpayers, 167 IRS TACs will offer Saturday service on Feb. 20. HOWEVER: At the onset, your question seems off base. Filing your child, or anyone, that qualifies as a dependent, is a GOOD thing for you. It lowers the tax you pay (conversely increasing your income). If the 19 yo has much income of his own, this may not be the case, but then he must file his own return anyway. AND of course, if he made his income, regardless of how much or little, while working as an employee....say at the local pool this summer, he had tax withheld which he likely has a right to a refund of, as well as benefits the are available as a taxpayer (like unemployment/disability, etc) that he has already paid for. Again, if he has not had any reportable income, it would seem to only be beneficial to you or whoever has the right to declare him as a dependent, to do so.

What if you still need to file taxes for certain year?

You can always file them the next year, or the year after that. In fact, if you don't have the necessary paperwork, contact the IRS and they will send you all the tax papers from the previous years. Since they have all the information on file, you can complete multiple returns in one year. However, after a certain amount of years you will not get a refund back. So don't delay, go out and get your money back!

How should a sixteen year old file for taxes?

Use the basic Easy Form from your local Post Office. That being said, a sixteen year old living at home with parents or a parent who is also filing taxes has to coordinate their tax return with their parent(s). When I was 16 I was supporting my mom and sisters who did not have income so I used the Easy Form and filled in the answers based on myself. If my mom had been able to work and was filing taxes, she would claim me as a dependent which would change the answers I could give on my form. Example... "Enter 1 if no one else can claim you as a dependent" "Enter 2 if you are claimed as a dependent." If you are filing independently, the form is easy to fill out without having to pay an accountant to do it. The benefit of using a tax service is that they offer tax loans which get the return to you faster but your getting less back because they filled out your form for you. The most important part is coordinating your return with any adult in your household who has an income and can claim that they support you. If you do not coordinate your returns and you claim that you support yourself while someone else claims you as a dependent, both tax returns will be held up until it is straightened out. ***Another issue... If a 16 year old is a single mother who supports herself and her child, they would have to use a different form which would include questions about child care and more. Hope this helps. Note: I am not a tax consultant. I'm just passing on what I've learned.

Why does a 80 year old still have to pay school taxes?

why do people who don't drive pay to maintain roads? You can't pick and choose which taxes you pay. And I would assume that the "80" year old or his children/grandchildren have benefited from the schools in his community at some point.